The Sun City West Wood Club is all about woodworking. But the club and members are involved in a great deal more. Club members volunteers and participate in many activities. Some of these include:
- Bell ringing for the Salvation Army – Each year at Christmas time, club member volunteer to ring the Bell for the Salvation Army at one of the locations in Sun City West. Each volunteer only spends 2 hours on one day to help out in this worthy cause.
- Participate in the Sun City West Craft fairs – Sun City West sponsors 2 craft fairs each year. One in the spring and one in the fall. Many Wood Club members bring the items they’ve built throughout the year to sell. Several members help with the setup, sales, and cleanup after the fair. All club members are welcome to help.
- Open House – Sun City West holds periodic open house’s at the various clubs. The wood club gets all spiffed up to greet visitors, explain what the club is all about and to display some of the work done by the members.
- Hold numerous social events – All Sun City West clubs are social clubs. The Wood Club just makes more saw dust that the rest of the clubs. The wood club has regular happy hour events, often with live music, during the fall, winter and spring. In the summer, the club holds monthly (indoor) picnics at the club. There are 2 picnics for the members the spring and fall. There is a very nice Christmas party each year with a social hour, dinner, entertainment and door prizes.
- Making toys at Christmas for area children – The Christmas toy program is a big event that many members help out with and make wooden toys for children. Toys are made in the fall in preparation for an event where children from local schools come to the shop, greet the toy elves, have a snack and get the toys.
- Volunteers – The club operates completely with volunteer workers. This ranges from monitoring, party setup, training, shop cleanup, special projects. There are plenty of ways to help out and contribute to the club. Volunteers tend to get much more from that club by participating and spending time with other club members.